Everyday, thousands of automobiles add up on the roads, which makes the demand for raw materials exorbitant. Tires are one of the most important parts of the automobile, but people often ignore their importance. They are manufactured from a chemically enhanced rubber material, which is tough as well as toxic in nature. A number of used tires are thrown into the garbage, which create a hazardous situation for the environment. Recycling is the best option to make them usable. The recycled tires can be made into floor mats and playground mulches. The step-by-step procedure for making floor mats from recycled tires is described below:
Depends on the speed and efficiency of the user.
Depends on the availability of raw materials and their qualities.
1. Cut the fabric into the intended mat size or larger than the actual size. Use a tough material for the fabric. Nylon will be a good choice, as it has high strength and appreciable characteristics.
2. Position the fabric rightly, and cut it at the size of the mat you wish to make from the recycled tires.
3. The next step is to cut the tires into small pieces, so as to make them compatible on the floor. However, cutting the tires might become a very difficult job, if you don’t have right tool. A pocketknife will suit the job perfectly. As the tire had been into a curved shape for a long time, it has a natural tendency to bend unless you break them into minor pieces. Gently, start from the thin section, which is sandwiched between the treads to make the cutting process easy.
4. The material on the sides of the tires are still left out. As they don’t have any direct contact with the ground, the rubber material from this area is less worn out. Use the pocketknife to remove these pieces also.
5. The actual phase of making mats starts here. Spread a thin layer of polyurethane on a square area of the fabric with the help of spatula.
6. Take the individual cut pieces of the tires, and place them over the polyurethane covered areas. Gently press them to create a strong bond between the two surfaces. It is not necessary to arrange these tire pieces accurately. However, avoid large gaps between the pieces. In fact, you can cut those pieces again to fill the voids.
7. Make sure that the final assembly of pieces on the fabric resembles a mosaic pattern. Repeat the process until the entire area on the floor mat is filled with tire pieces. Allow the elements to dry. Your new product should be ready by now.
Frequently asked questions
1. Where can I find used tires to make these floor mats?
You can find them on your local dump yards. Sometimes, you may get used-tires for free.
2. Can I use an electric saw to cut the tires?
No. It’s not recommended to use an electric saw for cutting the tires.
1. Recycled tires used to create floor mats are eco-friendly products and supports green environment.
2. Cleaning these floor mats are very easy than the conventional products.
3. These mats could be used in industries, workshops and similar places, where dust and dirt are very intense. They can be used for ‘no slip’ safety runners as well.
Things to watch out for
1. The use of electric saw for cutting tires is strictly disapproved. Improper use of the saw might cause serious injury.
2. Assembling tire pieces over the fabric may not fit perfectly. But, remember to mind the large gaps.