Each year wooden pallets in large amounts are thrown as wastes all over the world. Anyone can build their own lumber shed out of the cast-off wooden pallets available at a cheaper or no cost at all acquired from their neighborhood. Also, one can stopover at their local wood business stores to check out if they would sell recycled wood at a reduction price. Many people will be ready to give away old wooden pallets free of cast because they would have to spend money for disposing them. Moreover, one can make use of moderately impaired or deteriorated wooden pieces for some extent in building the shed. This will save a lot of money spent in building a wooden shed.
Difficulty Level: Moderate (Requires basic knowledge)
Time required: 2 to 3 days (based on each personâs skill for building a shed)
1. Wooden pallet
3. Small wooden chunk
4. Bolts and nut
5. Power drill machin
6. Nails and washer
8. Wrenching tool
9. Metal roofing sheets/ roof felt
1. Choose an even expanse to build the wooden shed. Clean the expanse of apparent rubbish and level the area.
2. Make a plan of how large the surface expanse of the wooden shed is required to be built.
3. Based on the purpose of building the shed decide the height and width of the wooden shed.
4. Place bricks under and above the surface to make use of it as foothold for the edge of your shed. Place the required amount of pallets upon the bricks.
5. Then momentarily bond the wooden pallets together by using a rope to secure them together in their proper place.
6. Next step is to link the wooden pallets using bolts. This can be done by drilling a hole with a drill bit of the similar width as that of the bolt. Now slowly knock the bolt into the drilled hole with the help of a hammer.
7. Then fasten the washer and nuts onto the other side of the bolt. Now stiffen them by using a wrench tool.
8. Seal in the openings of the pallet base by nailing the boards taken from among the wooden pallets that are in good condition over the openings.
9. Make a wall structure by fixing the pallets all around the boundary with the bolts. Leave the required space for the door to be fixed.
10. Build another frame of boundary pallets on top of the first boundary frame, from one edge to other. Hold this structure for time being with the help of a rope till they are fixed firmly with another set of bolts.
11. Seal the openings with boards acquired from scraps of wood in good condition as explained in step 8.
12. Construct a roof structure like whatever you want (typically a slanted roof) by placing The measured pallets above the front part of the wooden shed. Fix the wood with bolts.
13. Build the roof using big pallets that cover the area of shed. Seal all the openings with wooden boards.
14. Fasten roof felt to keep the roof of the wooden shed protected from all types of weather. One can also use metal roofing sheets.
15. Shape a wooden pallet that suits the size of the door for the wooden shed. Seal the gaps using wooden boards as explained formerly. Fix the door with screws and pivots.
Frequently asked questions
1. Where can I get recycled lumber from?
Ans: You can search for unused wooden pieces from around your house or you can get it from people who want to dispose old lumber. Also you can obtain recycled lumber from shops that sell them in your neighborhood.
2. What is the best method to install the screws?
Ans: The best and the easiest method to fix the screws, is to fundamentally place the screw like a nail against the metal surface and striking it with a hammer to make it to pierce the sheet metal. See that the tip of the screw gets wedged in the wood. Then by using a speed drill machine with a nut drive, stiffen it in place.
1. Before setting up the shed, clean out the area for the new shed and level it up.
2. Itâs is good to fix some old plywood over the base for better stability and foothold.
3. One can also install galvanized steel roof instead of ordinary roof.
4. While framing the walls use new lumber for the corners and recycled lumber for less critical parts.
5. Use tar paper to protect the shed from weather if the shed is half completed.
6. Screws can be fixed by placing them on washer and rubber gaskets. This will help seal the gaps that it enters.
Things to watch out for
1. Paint the recycled plywood so that the shed looks like a store bought product.
2. Ensure that the size of the shed is lesser or equal to that of the size of roof of the shed.
3. Fixing wooden bits pinned on diagonally can strengthen the structure of the shed.